Search This Blog

Friday, August 27, 2010

Missing Cat Returns Home to Girl with Autism

The Autism News


By ABC 13
Lynchburg, VA – Last Thursday, we brought you the heart-wrenching story of a girl with severe autism who was distraught over her missing cat.  Now, Boots and 12-year-old Shyann are back under the same roof.
Boots can’t exactly say where he’s been for the past nine days. But he didn’t seem to go far.  A nearby neighbor spotted him Wednesday night.
“I tried to get it and it got away and it ran over there in front of the house.  We kept looking for it,” said neighbor John Keehan.
He called Jackie Paris, who rushed over.
“I started clanking my bowls and everything and the next thing you know, there he comes out of the woods, and I snatched him up, and I cried,” Paris said.
Shyann was asleep when Jackie arrived home.  But in the morning, the child who had been so visibly upset was now content.
“No fussing, no nothing.  She let me get her dressed.   She was petting him and he was rubbing up against her, and I said are you happy your cat is home?  She said [nods head] and I said, me too,” Paris said.
And he’s the real thing, not a replacement.  But Jackie had plenty of offers.  She got at least 50 calls since our first story aired.
“They’ve offered me animals, their own animals.  Just people calling to know if I’d found the cat, that I was in their prayers.”
Shyann and Boots are now back to having a relationship that doesn’t require a conversation.
And Jackie, who is still taking in the kindness of the ABC 13 viewers, is speechless.
“Words can’t express how I feel right now, my heart is full, my soul is full, my daughter is happy, our cat is home,” Paris said.
Boots didn’t seem to be hurt, but he is a little thinner after his disappearance.  He has an appointment with the vet Friday.
Source: http://www.wset.com/Global/story.asp?S=13051385

No comments:

Post a Comment